Last modified: 18. November 2022


  1. Who can apply?

  • Stipendium Hungaricum scholars
  • Scholarship for Christian Young People scholars
  • Dissertation Scholarship holders 
  • FAO scholars

Stipendium Hungaricum and SCYP scholars:

SH and SCYP scholarship covers health insurance: 1) Supplementary medical insurance (private insurance) and 2) National health insurance/social security (relevant Hungarian legislation: Act No. LXXX of 1997 on persons entitled to social security benefits and private pensions, as well as the funding for these services.)

FAO scholars:

FAO scholarship covers national health insurance/social security (relevant Hungarian legislation: Act No. LXXX of 1997 on persons entitled to social security benefits and private pensions, as well as the funding for these services.)

Dissertation Scholarship holders:

From the 2022/23 fall semester Dissertation Scholarship holders are eligible for TAJ card.

  1. Appication Procedure for TAJ card at Budapest:

You have to submit the required documents to the National Health Insurance Fund of Hungary (NEAK) in person. It is recommended to start the process as soon as you receive your Residence Pemit.

Required documents:

  • application form
  • accommodation reporting form (address card) stamped by the Immigration Office
  • copy of residence permit
  • copy of your passport
  • student status certificate (in Hungarian): You can receive it from your Registrar’s Office coordinator
  • authorization: You can receive it from your international campus coordinator. Full name, date and place of birth, morher’s name and Hungarian address is required for this document.

National Health Insurance Fund of Hungary (NEAK) address:

1139 Budapest, District 13. Teve utca. 1 a-c.

Working hours:


8:00 am–3:00 pm


8:00 am–3:00 pm


8:00 am–4:30 pm


8:00 am–3:00 pm


8:00 am–1:00 pm





After the in-person document submission, the TAJ number gets generated and sent to the Registrar's Office at Buda Campus for registration into the NEPTUN system. Your TAJ number will appear in NEPTUN under Personal information as Social Security Number

After NEAK validates the number, your TAJ card is mailed to the university. Your Registrar's Office coordinator will let you know when it is ready for pickup.

From the registration to receiving the TAJ card the process can take up to 1 or 2 months. Therefore it is recommended that you start the process as soon as you receive your Residence Permit.

  1. How it works?

After submitting your application you will get a social security number (TAJ number), then within a few weeks a social security card (TAJ card). With a valid TAJ card you are entitled to receive public health service for free in Hungary. There are only a few basic services (e.g. certain types of dental services) that are not free.

In this system, you have a general practitioner and a dentist based on your address. If you have any health problem, you have to go directly to the general practitioner. When you go to the doctor always bring your residence permit, accommodation card and TAJ card with you. 

If you require a specialist, you need to go to the GP first who will give you a medical referral to the appropriate specialist. Before you go to the specialist, it is necessary to make an appointment. In any urgent case, you should directly go to the emergency closest to you or call an ambulance. 

Please note that you have to pay for medical reports/ fitness certificates required for a job or other types of application.

  1. Extension of TAJ card

It is required to submit the application for extension at least one month before the expiry date of the TAJ card. After receiving your new residence permit go to the NEAK Office competent on the basis of your accomodation address and submit the extension application.

Required documents:

  • Copy of accommodation card stamped by the Immigration Office
  • Copy of  your residence permit
  • Copy of your passport
  • student status certificate issued within 30 days
  • authorization
  • application form
  • original TAJ card


  1. Who can use it?

If you are SH or SCYP scholar you automatically get the insurance and there is no need for application. When your name appears on the „list of beneficaries” you can start using the private insurance.

Students on the list of beneficiaries will be able to download an assistance card in pdf format here. Optionally, it can be printed out, filled in with personal data and placed among their personal documents. Please, check yourself on the list of beneficiaries and send an email to Ms. Judit Tallaromné Czingili in case you do NOT FIND your name on the list.

Since December 2020, SZIU-MATE has contracted with Union Insurance Company. Now, the validation process is over and our private insurance at Union is VALID. Student health packages are provided for SH and SCYP students. The contract is made by SZIU-MATE.

  1. How it works?

As for Union, if you have any health related problem, call the central phone number indicated on the insurance card - 06 1 461 1572, tell them your problem, and they will direct you to the closest contracted English speaking doctor.

The insurance contract number is: 46164430.

You always have to notify the insurance company before using a health service, otherwise they cannot accept and reimburse your bill.

Documents to get detailed information on your private insurance:

SZIE_MATE_Customer Information_UNION_EN_20201201
SZIE_MATE_Magyar nyelvű ügyféltájékoztató_UNION_20201201
SZIE_MATE_Magyar nyelvű biztosítási feltételek_20201201_HU

You can check what the insured services (Section 4) are and what is not covered (e.g. dental services, among others; Section 6) by UNION Private Insurance.

  1. Social Security (TAJ) or Private (Union)?

Since Union (the private insurance company) provides English service, students are rather recommended to use Union services first. In case you need some service not covered by Union, you are advised to use public health service.


You can conclude any kind of health insurance contract upon your choice.
Here are some examples:

Please, always read the terms of your insurance contract thoroughly (visit contracted doctors, accepted bills etc.) and act accordingly!

If you are an EU citizen, you can use your E111 card or European Health Insurance Card at all doctor's offices (if not private practice) in case of emergency. Otherwise you have to pay for healthcare, but you can forward your bills to your insurance company for reimbursement, depending on your private insurance.


In case of an emergency, dial one of the following numbers:

  • Ambulance: 104
  • Police: 107
  • Fire brigade: 105
  • Central Emergency Helpline: 112 - can be dialled from a Hungarian cell phone from inside the country.